The Property & Strata Management Division of Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty directs this notice concerning the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information to all past and present customers.
As of January 1, 2004, British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) applies to Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty's collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. This notice documents our ongoing commitment to you and has been developed in compliance with PIPA.
Property & Strata Managers with Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty may require personal and property information from clients in the usual course of a real estate transaction. Collecting and sharing this information is an essential part of the business process. At the same time, few things are more important to individuals than their privacy. We recognize your right to protect and control your personal information. We are committed to using fair information practices when dealing with your personal information.
Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty agents abide by the Privacy Code of The Canadian Real Estate Association, which sets out the commitment of agents and your rights regarding the privacy of your personal information. We will:
- Obtain your consent when we collect, use or disclose your personal information
- Protect the information from unauthorized use or access
- Refrain from selling, sharing or distributing your information in any way other than what has been disclosed to you
- Only use the information for the purposes we discussed with you
- Allow you access to your information
- Have privacy policies that are clear and understandable
Frequently Ask Questions
1. What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. This does not include certain information which is publicly available such as a phone directory listing your name, address, and telephone number.
2. How do Agents collect personal information?
As a result of our business relationship with you, we may hold some personal information about you collected directly from you through various contracts and other documents you completed or through discussions with your Property or Strata Manager.
Most information will be obtained directly from you, the client and may also include information from sources such as credit bureaus, land titles, and government agencies, as needed. At the time information is collected, you will be told what uses will be made of it; your consent to that collection and use will be obtained.
3. What does Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty do with my information?
This information has been or will be used for the following purposes:
- Evaluate your property
- List managed properties on HORIZON’S website and availability sheets.
- Market property for lease through other print or electronic media.
- Comply with legal requirements and acting pursuant to legal authorization.
- Complying with codes of professional conduct and ethics for members of Real Estate Boards and other Professional Associations.
- Obtain & retain credit/personal information to assess the suitability of tenancy & will continue to retain information allowable under the Act.
- Communicate with you to determine whether you require additional real estate services or to provide information about other products & services that may interest you.
4. How do I find out what personal information my Agent has about me?
You can see your personal information held by Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty and your Property or Strata Manager by calling, writing or visiting the office in person.
5. Can I correct my personal information if it is wrong?
You can correct any information held. Contact Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty, explain the correction you are requesting and why. If you can show that the information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to request that a correction be placed in the file or database.
6. Is there a review process?
If you have any questions or concerns about the way your personal information has been collected, used or disclosed or if access to it has been refused, try to settle the matter with your Property Manager or the Privacy Officer at Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty. If you are not satisfied, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-282-1376.